Valentine’s Day. It’s that time of year when heart-shaped desserts and giant teddy bears take over, and love is in the air! If a cutie has caught your eye this year, you no longer have to be their secret admirer. Here’s your chance to pop the question and ask, “will you be my Valentine?”
Of course, this decision will take some thought and careful planning. That’s where your PR cupid comes in. What do all great PR practitioners do when they need to make a decision? Perform a SWOT analysis!
This analysis lets you take a step back and look at your crush, identifying key issues and creating an action plan. Let’s get started:
It’s important to recognize what your Valentine gets right, especially the internal character traits that made you fall in love with them in the first place. Think of the positive qualities that set them apart from the crowd!
- Are they caring, kind, selfless or sweet?
- Will they cook or clean? Do their own laundry?
- Can they make you laugh or give a great compliment?
It can be easy to ignore the little problems in someone you like, but these minor flaws can become major issues further down the road. Identify their weaknesses now to see what you consider to be a “deal breaker.”
- Do they need to improve their table manners?
- Are they constantly on their phone ignoring you?
- Is your crush being hurtful or dishonest?
These external factors are an opening for growth. Look to the future and think about what you want out of your life. Do your Valentine’s future plans match up?
- Does their family own multiple vacation homes?
- Will their major yield a fulfilling and lucrative career?
- Are they interested in having children and a family of their own?
Threats could ruin your relationship by putting obstacles in the path of your love. Recognize threats beforehand to weigh the true cost of commitment.
- Family – Does your family approve? Do the in-laws?
- Friends – What if they dated one of your friends? Do they get along well?
- Yourself – Are you ready to take on a new relationship?
Using this criteria to form a plan of action, you should be ready to get your Valentine locked down in no time!